Coming up on 8 years in the UAE

Yay! It's May! What an exciting month it is for us as family. Will just finished his final exam in his masters degree yesterday. An incredible accomplishment for him and 2 years of hard work, working full time, studying on his off days and this past year, making the long drive from Al Ain to Dubai every week to attend his classes. We are so excited to see more of him now and have 2 days off together as a family every week. We have missed you so much Will but we are so stinking proud of you! 

Ben turns 1 on May 21st- can't believe that! I will do a separate post all about Ben closer to his birthday. 

I jet off for a quick 5 days to Idaho for my sister, Abby's high school graduation. How has that happened? How are you off to college, Abby? 

Lastly, this month marks 8 years for me living in the UAE on May 14. This is significant for me because this is the amount of years I lived in Belgium and it was enough years to make me feel as though Belgium was my home and where I felt I grew up. 8 years back then also felt like a lifetime, whereas, 8 years as an adult has gone in the blink of an eye. Time seems to have vanished and yet so much has happened. 

I found my old journal the other day (the one I wrote throughout my Switzerland adventure as an AuPair) and turned to the last page which said this:

"Throughout this journal- I started off excited to head off to a new place, sad for that adventure to come to a close- and after 4 months of looking for what I thought was the best path to take- I am ending the journal on another exciting and unexpected note (and that is what is so exciting about life)-
In about a week I am moving to Dubai. For the first time EVER, I really have no idea what to expect."

To look back and read that 8 years later, I can immediately go right back to that moment and how I was feeling. I was so nervous. I remember always telling myself that if an opportunity came and it made me nervous, it was an opportunity worth experiencing. I remember saying Bye to my Mom in the airport, thinking I'd be back in a year. 
I also remember once on the plane feeling like my life was going to change completely. I wasn't sure in what way but I was so excited to find out. 

My first day in Dubai I recall waking up feeling so far away from home and having no way yet of contacting my Mom to let her know I was ok and settled. That was a weird feeling. 
I remember so vividly getting on the company bus headed to my first day of work and having no idea where to go, sweating profusely because it was hella hot outside already and wearing my new 'boat shoes' my Mom had bought for me before I left, which weren't worn in yet and covered my entire feet in blisters. haha (what a way to start). I remember seeing my new co worker, who soon turned into my best friend, Melissa in the car park of Wild Wadi. She looked at me and said, "Caelan?...I'm Melissa, follow me."
I remember hearing all of my colleagues accents, from all around the world and feeling this sense of normalcy and feeling as though I was exactly where I should be. 
I remember my other co-worker, Fasil, giving me a tour of my new work place and throughout this tour making my most significant and vivid memory of all, 
This GORGEOUS, blonde hair, blue eyed, strong, tall, vibrant boy walking up to me. "Hi, I'm Will." 
My Will, from that moment, I knew I wanted to know you. I didn't know in what capacity, or to what extent our relationship would be. I did know, we would be friends... if anything. And now... All this because 2 crazy kids fell in love. 

What an amazing place it has been for me the past 8 years. I love how there are so many different cultures, nationalities, beliefs all living in close, harmonious proximity. There is an acceptance and appreciation for diversity here that makes me feel so at ease and at home. I absolutely love the sunny weather (most of the year), my beautiful life long friends that I've made here. Being so close to so many other countries to visit easily. I have seen a lot, but there is still so much more to explore. Finding my passion in teaching. Falling in love, getting married and having our 2 beautiful kiddos whom I have a difficult time remembering life without. They make my whole world go round. And this beautiful country that has become my family's home. UAE, I love you with my entire heart for making all of these things possible and you will forever have a piece of my heart. 

Happy Travels and Happy 8 years with you UAE! 
xoxo 




One of our first pics together


Baby Me: First Christmas in Dubai

My favorite building in the background: Burj al Arab


This is England but had to put a pic up of our now family of 4

You! It's always been You! 


Comments

Popular Posts