"The most important thing is, even when we're apart... I'll always be with you." -Winnie the Pooh

"The most important thing is, even when we're apart... I'll always be with you." -Winnie the Pooh

This, like many other Winnie the Pooh quotes, is so relatable and so beautiful. It touches on a feeling you can have in so many different ways. You could be traveling away from family, moving states, countries, moving just down the road, going away to college, or even losing someone. When this happens, hold them close to you always. A piece of your heart will always be theirs and through that piece, those memories that are shared, they continue to live on. 

I have been going back and forth about whether or not I was going to post this. It is very personal, very close to my heart and the people that I love hearts too. But, this is important for me to share! 

Almost 2 years ago my stepfather, Frank, lost his battle to ALS. The cause of this disease is still unknown and there still isn't a cure. I am still in disbelief when I stop and think about how this could have happened to such a fit, healthy, active man. It still makes no sense and it still leaves me heart broken. 

Like any family, we definitely had ups and downs in our relationship. Incredible times and hard times. There was a period in which we didn't talk very much. But by God, this man raised me like his daughter and for that- I will FOREVER be grateful. 

He came into my life when I was just 8 years old. My Mom and Frank were good friends in college and were reunited at their 10 year reunion. I remember Frank running up to us when we pulled into the campus and he embraced me with the biggest hug! I remember both he and his best friend, Jeff, were throwing a frisbee around and I was playing with them for a bit. I also remember very vividly getting back into the car and telling my Mom, "You should marry a guy like Frank." 
2 years later, they were married and we were off on this incredible adventure to Europe. The two of them were teachers and taught at International Schools in Belgium. The first one was Antwerp International School, where we stayed for 2 incredible years. The second was The International School of Brussels. We were there for an amazing 6 years. 
Frank and my Mom were the two people who gave me the gift of travel. 
I remember being beyond nervous moving overseas. I was afraid I wouldn't make friends, or that I would miss my incredible Grandparents too much. 
Every aspect of living overseas changed my life! I thrived over there. The kids I met were all so welcoming and friendly and from ALL OVER THE WORLD! We would play sports at just 11 and be traveling to compete in countries like Switzerland, Norway, France, Germany! We would be housed by other families and become close friends with them in a matter of days. 
Frank also was a director of a summer camp in Austria. We would spend most of our summers there. Again, surrounded by such kind, worldly kids. Some of these kids that I met over there when I was 11, are still some of my closest friends to this day and I look back so fondly on those experiences. Hiking in the mountains, rolling down the hills (accidentally rolling into cow poop on the way down - ew), rock climbing, sailing, wind surfing! Having first crushes, first loves (all with my parents right near by to see all this haha).
I mean, to look back now and get to reflect on and realise I was so fortunate to have those 'unreal' experiences, it fills my heart with immense joy! The experience that Frank and my Mom gave to me is a gift that I cannot thank them enough for. 
In High School, I was lucky enough to have Frank as my coach in Basketball. We, again, had some difficult times during that period, but the majority of that experience was INCREDIBLE! He always believed in me! ALWAYS! and he was ALWAYS THERE. Again, something I will forever keep with me. 
He believed in me so much, he made a basketball tape and sent it to colleges in Florida. I heard back from one and we went to tour it and I played a bit with the girls there. I quickly realised, I was ready to leave the game when I loved it and didn't play in college. I am still happy with that decision but the fact that he took so much time to make the tape and send it out- really stayed with me. He would still pull the tape out EVERY time I came to visit haha! They were AMAZING DAYS and how I will always remember Frank. Lively, athletic, competitive, passionate, kind. He was so passionate and believed in us girls so much, we would always joke about 'the vein'. When he would get really into a game (which was every game) but the score was a little too close for comfort, the vein in his forehead would protrude. The girls and I would joke with him after the game (if we won), "Man Coach, 'the vein' was out tonight." We would all laugh, and Frank had one of the most contagious laughs, so once we were going- it was hard to stop.
My last story that I want to share about Frank is incredibly poignant because it truly proves that I am where I am today because of him. Going into my last semester of college, I knew I wanted to interview to be a flight attendant. The only job I wanted because of TRAVEL. So it all worked out. I landed a job as a flight attendant and would start training a few weeks after graduation. It was all set up beautifully. I remember getting a call from Frank, who was now living in Idaho and the GM at a waterpark there. He told me he ran into a really nice guy who was the GM at a waterpark in Dubai and that they needed a management trainee soon to teach the colleagues there English. Frank asked if I was interested. I said, No because I already had my dream job lined up. He said ok and that was that. 
Once I was at the flight attendant training, the whole time, something just didn't feel right. I went back and forth about whether I should stay or go. About a week before training ended, I handed in my books and left. I drove from Missouri to Idaho not knowing what was next, but knowing that I wanted something different. In Idaho, I still couldn't find a gig I wanted. I then looked overseas and got a short 3 month job in Switzerland as an Aupair (which was amazing). I got back to Idaho and still couldn't find a job. I remember like it was yesterday, feeling so defeated and just crying on the stairs of my Mom and Frank's house. Frank came up to me and said, "what's wrong Cae?" I replied, "I don't know what I'm doing with my life. Why can't I find a job I like? I shouldn't be living here with you guys, I should be out doing my own thing." And then a light bulb went off in my head. I looked up at Frank and said "Do you still know that GM in Dubai?" By this time, almost an entire year had gone by since Frank mentioned that job to me. Frank said "I'll send an email." 
Because a year had past, the management trainee they had hired was about to finish his year contract, leaving a spot open for me. I got myself TESOL (teaching English as a second language) certified and 2 months later was on a plane to Dubai. 
My husband had only just arrived in Dubai a couple of months before me at the same company I was going to work for. If I had gone the year before, we would have just missed each other. So again, thank you Frank! 
Thank you for so many things- for showing me how great and big this world is. For opening my eyes to all this world has to offer and to not be afraid to go explore it! To believe in myself! For being my Dad! For giving me 3 amazing siblings!
I love you! I miss you! We all do! I know you are proud of all of your kids! Abby, Matt and Emily are kicking ass at life! They have all come to see me all the way over here (Abby is coming in a week. You have passed on that love for travel and adventure and open mindedness to all of your kids. 

We all know you are smiling down on us from 'afar'! You also have a new grandson, Ben! Oh man, would you love him! I'll teach Ben and Livi how to shoot one handed like you did me!
Love you Frankie! "If there ever comes a day we can't be together, Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." -Winnie the Pooh




The kids





















Comments

  1. Beautiful post Caelan! I’m so sorry for your loss, I had no idea that Mr Morandi was no longer with us. Mr Morandi was a great math teacher and basketball coach. He was always very passionate about what he did and it was contagious! I remember always laughing lots with the team and just having a great time on our basketball trips. He will be missed! Sending lots of love to you and your beautiful family and I hope to be able to catch up with you soon! Anneliese xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry my friend! I should have been better about reaching out and letting you know! Yes, some of my most beautiful memories were spent with you girls and frank playing basketball! He loved you Anneliese! I miss you my friend and please come visit us any time here in the UAE.. you always have a place to stay xoxo Caelan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts